Brent Giles, Director, Operations & Corporate Training and Tim Verbic, Director of Business Development, represented Clintar Commercial Outdoor Services, in participating at the Sustainable Purchasing Leadership Council’s (SPLC) 5th Annual Conference in Minneapolis, Minnesota, May 14 – 16, 2018.
SPLC 2018 Conference: https://www.sustainablepurchasing.org/summit18/
With over 400 attendees from many Fortune 500 corporations, the United States Federal Government and several state governments and public agencies in addition to the Government of Canada, the 3-day conference covered numerous topics related to sustainability, including water conservation, inclusive procurement practices, and quantifying a company’s sustainability practices as part of a vendor selection process.
Below are a few of the take-aways that were presented at the conference:
- Sustainability is not just a trend anymore – it is now a business reality / necessity.
- Sustainable best practices are being developed or implemented that impact, but are not limited to, procurement, social engagement, human resource policy and supply chain management.
- The measurement in progress in sustainability has shifted from qualitative to quantitative measurement units. Software has been developed, in the past 24 months, to measure and track progress of sustainability in values, including: $ savings, water / electricity usage, waste diversion (tons), etc.
- Corporations and governments are using this software to quantifiably measure their and their suppliers’ progress on sustainability initiatives and business processes.
- Scorecards and threshold requirements are being developed, or are now in place as part of the procurement supplier selection process for many Fortune 500 companies and government agencies.
- While areas of focus on sustainability in the property management industry are on the buildings and related inputs (energy, water, HVAC), there is a Category Guidance, developed by the SPLC, for sustainable landscaping practices. These practices have been developed in consultation with the SPLC’s Corporate Members.
A vital part of Clintar Commercial Outdoor Services’ mandate is being a corporate social responsible company, as such we are constantly researching and acquiring more efficient and sustainable practices and products to introduce to our everyday practices. We are proud to support the SPLC in attending their conference for the second year-in-a row.